, , , ,

Some More Exploring

8:19 PM


I had the morning free before a meeting, so I planned to go to the Chopin Museum. It seems as though the lobby cleaning process at 8am will be my alarm clock during my stay. At least students seem to (relatively-so) respect the quiet hours policies.

I got onto a different bus and stayed on for a while, getting to see new parts of Warsaw. I might do this again, as it helps me start to get my bearings a bit. Of course I wandered around all over trying to get to the museum, picking up some sunglasses on the way (we had beautiful, sunny weather today!). I did see some really incredible buildings on my path.


I'm pretty sure this building was even abandoned.
The museum is not that big, but interesting and attractive. It’s very interactive, and his music is playing everywhere except for the room presenting his death. Not much seemed original though, which would have enticed me more seeing as I already knew most of the information the museum presented. Let me add that I am a hard one to please when it comes to museums.




They did have a lock of his hair (and George Sand’s), though, from before his embalming. I always thought he was more blonde than brunette, but I guess I was wrong about that.


I of course got excited at the mention of Delfina (here she is standing at his death bed performing) as she is the common factor between my dear Zygmunt Krasiński and Chopin!


Afterward, I had about 2 hours before my meeting so walked back to old town hoping to find something to eat. I sat down and left two places before just giving in to the powers of the 10zl (about $3) chicken kebab, which was more food than I could eat in an entire day. It was also pretty darn spicy! But the whole walk was wonderful; the weather was absolutely perfect.

So excited about this cafe/bookshop. I love Prus!!! This is a "must-return and check it out" place.






Early afternoon I made my way to the Palace of Culture for my first meeting with Collegium Civitas. I did a good job of being awkward my first time in the hideous building, almost getting run over by hundreds of women heading to some event on the other side of the building, nearly walking into the men’s bathroom (but luckily a nice man pointed the way and laughed along with me), and almost passing a ticket person to go up the tower for a view of the city and where she yelled at me, so I had to ask a nearby sales lady how to get to my correct office and floor.  And so of course when the program secretary asked if I found the office ok I lighted and said yes. If you think about it, the place wasn’t so difficult to find, I just have a tendency to do things… in an unusual way… not on purpose.

So I now have a 30-day bus pass, a Polish phone number, 4 metro tickets, and a neat-o pen. My Polish class starts next week, and I’m supposedly going to get set up with various students. One thing that was odd was being referred to as an “international student.” I’ve never really been called that before.

After the meeting, I wandered a bit and did some more home-shopping. I think I’m to the point where I can go to a store and just buy the veggies, etc. I’ll write more about that later in another post on my room and food/home-making capabilities.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm so jealoussss Warsaw looks beautiful! Awesome (and a little gross) that you got to see George Sand's hair :)

    ReplyDelete